Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous and poisonous gas. Carbon monoxide, or CO, is tasteless, odorless, and colorless. It can be emitted by a variety of fuel-burning household appliances, such as stoves and furnaces. For example, a crack in the heat exchanger of your furnace may allow carbon monoxide to be emitted throughout your home – and you may not know it. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning range from mild to severe, including death, depending on the quantity and duration of the exposure. According to the CDC:
The most common symptoms
of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.
It is imperative that fuel-burning appliances, such as furnaces, are inspected on a regular basis. Ensuring the proper operation of your furnace directly affects the safety of you and your family. Call Expert Express today and schedule your furnace check-up.