The Triangle is known for high humidity and though it is usually found outside your home, the effects can creep inside as well. Excess moisture inside your house can lead to many issues. It can cause your cooling bills to rise, mold to grow, increased dust mite infestations, mildew, and more. These can lead to serious health issues for you and your family. Keep reading for information on what you should look for to see if the humidity is too high in your home and what to do about it.
Five Signs of Humidity in Your Home
- Foggy windows. If you are starting to see beads of moisture constantly appearing on your windows, humidity is probably to blame.
- Mold growth. Mold and mildew grow in dark and damp conditions. If you do not have any leaks or broken pipes and you are still seeing mold and mildew, the humidity in your home is probably too high.
- Your home has a bad smell. Even if you cannot see mold or mildew, many times you can smell it. If something does not seem to smell right or if you and your family cannot stop coughing or sneezing, you need to call in an expert.
- Rotting wood. If you have started to see wood rotting around your home, it could be a sign of excess moisture.
- Higher cooling bill. When humidity levels are excessive, your system has to work overtime to provide the same level of comfort. Sometimes it will not be able to keep up and you will either end up with a higher bill or you will not be able to cool your home.
What Can You Do?
If you have noticed any of the signs above, call us at 919-676-8882. Your HVAC unit has a big effect on how much moisture is in your home. If your system is not properly maintained, you may notice that your home feels much more humid. Allow one of our experienced technicians to come take a look and get to the bottom of the causes before things get too hot and damp.